The Homecoming Showdown

The Homecoming Showdown

Gabe Smallson, Sports Editor

Last Saturday, a de Toledo team made their homecoming debut, a new tradition was started, and a historic rivalry 16 years in the making was renewed.

On Homecoming, not only did the school come together to watch some quality basketball played among fellow students, but a new dT heritage was born. Due to a cancellation from an opposing team, the JV Jags were without a team to play on Homecoming. However, the athletic department decided to hold the first ever inter-squad, JV against Frosh-Soph scrimmage on homecoming night.

Unlike what you might see in an inter-squad practice or a pickup game at lunch, this game had it all! This game had intensity, real referees, excellent play-by-play broadcasting, and of course, bragging rights for the winning team. Now, you might expect that a JV win was imminent, but you would be wrong. The JV Jaguars’ vocal leader and captain, Noah Camras, suffered a foot injury during practice, so the JV squad was handicapped. The JV squad ended up with the win, however: 54-10.

Both sides showed grit and resilience throughout the entire game and showed no signs of giving up, no matter what the score was. This game was also, hopefully, the first of many inter-squad scrimmages.

In the annual battle of two Dr. Powell-created schools, the de Toledo varsity Jaguars beat the YULA Panthers 52-44. An experienced Jaguar squad started off the game with a bang, and only got better from there. A quick three pointer by Sophomore Liam Evenhaim sparked the torrential downpour of points for the Jags.

A big factor in the victory was definitely “The Jungle,” the de Toledo student section. From the drum that was brought out midway through the first quarter, to the leaders of the student section throughout the game, a key part of winning Saturday night was due to the fan participation.

Another facet to the W was of course the players playing in the game. Captain Ezra Emanuel led the way with a game high of 15 points. He also filled the stat sheet with 6 rebounds, 4 steals, and 2 assists. Next in scoring were David Zipkin-Leed and Liam Evenhaim, who both added 13 to the total. Eilon Ben-Nissan was also a key contributor with 5 points 9 rebounds, as well as 3 charges taken, which turned out to be huge in a very decisive game.

This rematch of the past two Yeshiva Tier 2 Tournament championships was one that contained everything the fans wanted and then some. The hard fought battle ending in favor of the Jaguars only made the night better.