The Thing You Love Can Also Be Great for You

Melanie Anish, Features Editor

The opinions expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not necessarily represent the views of The Prowler.

What’s the first thing you turn to if you’re bored? Your immediate thought is not “I’m bored, so I’m gonna do homework and be productive!” But, instead you turn to the thing which is most comfortable and known to you: Netflix.

Your parents will scream at you, “Get off your damn computer! You’ve been on that stupid thing for hours!” and “Are you really gonna watch another episode of One Tree Hill?” And studies will tell you that watching Netflix so often is unhealthy. But have you ever realized that Netflix might be the greatest gift to our generation?

Netflix turns the thing teenagers hate most into something they love: learning as entertainment.

Although some may view Netflix as just a source to binge watch all your favorite shows and movies, Netflix also has provided teenagers with the ability to access information about any topic they please.

Even the most unacademic shows and movies can provide lessons for teenagers about social situations and help teenagers relate to a storyline.

But besides the typical dramas and comedies that are watched, Netflix’s database also includes thousands of movies, shows, and documentaries in the genres of faith, spirituality, sci-fi, cult movies, sports movies, and so many more.

With the ability to access as many of these movies and shows for a small fee per month, teens can explore their most desired interests and even challenge their already prior beliefs of a specific topic.

Many teachers have seen how Netflix can improve a young adults’ education and have begun to show movies or clips of shows off of Netflix in their classrooms. Teachers have given into the revolution that Netflix has brought upon us.

For example, English teacher Ms. Golden showed her 11 honors class SOMM, a film about the grand sommelier exam, to prove a point she was making – a comparison between critical reading and wine tasting. We have to train to be expert readers, just as sommeliers have to train to become expert wine tasters. This not only helped students gain a better understanding of what she was getting at, but they were able to visualize the concept too.

Documentaries and shows on Netflix have topics that apply to all subjects, and teachers have begun to use this new tool to their advantage.

Another benefit of Netflix is that it teaches teenagers a lesson in time management skills and will power.

Teenagers can watch Netflix for hours on end and can be consumed by this website. But, in order to get their homework done as well as watching Netflix, teens must learn a lesson in self control and will power and turn their computers off. If the student is unable to do so, they will quickly learn that not doing your work results in a bad grade.

It takes a lot for a young adult to decide when enough is enough and turn off the screen. Netflix teaches students and gives them the opportunity to have down time to binge watch a few episodes of television or a movie, and to turn off the screens and get all of their work done for the day.

Netflix is a gift to the 21st century and provides teenagers an opportunity to advance their knowledge in all subjects and to learn new skills.

So, the next time your parents yell out “Get off that stupid website!” or “You’re watching too much Netflix!” you can tell them, “I’m just furthering my life skills and education.”