College Workshop Relieves Some Stress

“Seniors got help they needed from teachers they trust”

Find de Toledos college counseling office  in its new location on the first floor..

Find de Toledo’s college counseling office in its new location on the first floor..

Sarah Ritter, Entertainment Editor

On Wednesday, as the freshmen, sophomores, and juniors took the PSAT, seniors gathered in Rita’s Room for an optional college workshop. The workshop was held from 9 a.m. to noon, October 10.  A handful of teachers came to help students with their college essays and supplemental questions. College counselors offered different breakout sessions to guide students as seniors filled out the Common App, UC application, and Cal State applications.

As someone who attended the workshop, I can say that it was very helpful. I spent the day writing and editing my main Common App personal essay. I went from having a rough first draft to being almost completed with my entire essay. I didn’t go to any of the Application sessions but I could imagine they were extremely helpful as well. To have dedicated time to work on my college essays relieved some stress I carry because of the college process.

The consensus I could gather from the event was that no one left unhappy. Seniors got the help they needed from teachers they trust to edit such an important piece of this process. With so many teachers being there, students had the chance to get a second and third point of view on their essays.