Student Volunteers Earn Presidential Service Award

Follow Your Passions to Reach 100 Service Hours

Alexa Goldwasser

More stories from Alexa Goldwasser

Presidential+Service+Award+winner+Matthew+L.+%2822%29+helps+unload+brand+new+sporting+equipment+just+in+time+for+the+holiday+season+at+LA+Family+Housing.+

Presidential Service Award winner Matthew L. (’22) helps unload brand new sporting equipment just in time for the holiday season at LA Family Housing.

One volunteer works with children with autism after school. Another has his own nonprofit to purchase sports equipment to get youth of  underserved communities moving. A third teaches young children all over the country to make kindness bracelets.

More than 40 dTHS students volunteered 100 hours or more last year, earning the Presidential Service Award.  

To earn the prestigious award, students nationwide devote 100 or more hours to better their communities. 

Matthew L. (‘22) is the co-founder of The Big Assist Foundation, a non-profit organization that engages youth from underserved communities in movement and exercise. “I put in a lot of time, and it was very rewarding to see my hard work pay off, both in the community itself and the acknowledgment of my service,” he said.

Matthew G. (’22) works countless hours each week organizing fundraisers and working with local community partners.

Shanee Z. (’22) volunteers at the Ed Asner Family Center. She spends her time interacting with children with autism to encourage their personal and emotional development through after school activities and summer camp. “Service has always been a big priority for me, and it was less about the award,” Shanee said. “We all have an obligation to help our communities.”

Sophie S. (’22) runs her own nonprofit called New Talk Community. The organization is all about spreading kindness and providing a safe space for people to share their experiences. Sophie has taught  children all over the country how to make kindness bracelets during her virtual sessions, and she described the “joy” she had when she got to hear other peoples stories.

Here is the list of students who received the Presidential Service Award from the 2020-2021 school year!!

Adam D. Samuel G. Jessica L. Jacob P. Sophie S.
Yuval E. Niv G. Rachel L. Jack P. Max T.
Taylor E. Mikaela H. Yarden M. Eden R. Jessica W.
Gabrielle F. Emilia H. Asher M. Dylan S. Keren W.
Samara F. Eliana H. Ben M. Ethan S. Max W.
Mirah G. Haley K. Molly N. Samuel S. Hannah W.
Sarah G. Matthew L. Brooke N. Sophie S. Jacob W.
Hannah G. Cameron L. Jordan N. Michelle S. Shanee Z.
Alexa G. Rose L. Lin Ben N.-O. Max S. Jenna Z.
Matthew G. Andrea L. Payton O. Jesse S.