100 Days of Cover-Ups

Noam Haykeen, Student Writer

The opinions expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not necessarily represent the views of The Prowler.

Ninety-some days of the Trump presidency have now passed, and Trump has made significant yet confusing decisions for one reason: to distract the American public from the suspicious ties he has with Russia.

On day two of his presidency, per Trump’s request, Press Secretary Sean Spicer said that Trump’s inaugural crowd size was “the largest audience to witness an inauguration, period,” although clear photographic evidence verifies that it was not. Trump knew that this statement was false, but he wanted to shift the public’s eye from the Russian scandal.

On day 43 of his presidency, Trump tweeted that there should be an investigation into Senator Chuck Schumer and Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi’s ties to Russia, with zero evidence of wrongdoings.

On day 44, Trump claimed that Obama “had my ‘wires tapped’ in Trump Tower” during the election season, once again without any evidence.

On day 77 of his presidency, the Trump administration decided to launch 60 Tomahawk missiles at a Syrian air force base in response to the Assad regime’s gas attack on Syrian civilians. This action was a direct reversal from Trump’s past stance. After Assad’s regime gassed its own people in 2013, Trump had tweeted that he was against bombing Syria because he thought it would only result in America acquiring “more debt and a possible long term conflict.” During the campaign, Trump said that the US cannot be “the policeman of the world,” which conflicts with his interventionist actions in Syria.

On day 79 of his presidency, the Trump administration claimed to have rerouted a Navy aircraft carrier and other warships to the Korean peninsula. However, 10 days later, The Hill reported that the “aircraft carrier wasn’t moving toward North Korea,” causing the White House to say that there had been a “miscommunication.” It seems like the Trump administration was dishonest with the American public about the aircraft carrier’s location in order to shift their attention toward the escalating tensions between the US and North Korea.

On day 83 of his presidency, Trump said that NATO was “no longer obsolete,” and China is not “a currency manipulator.” Both statements were a reversal from his position during his campaign.

These baffling actions and statements are not honest mistakes. They are meant to distract Americans from Trump’s connections with Russia. In past months, we have seen many stories that prove Trump is trying to divert the public’s attention from this topic.

Carter Page, a former foreign policy advisor to the Trump campaign, said on PBS NewsHour that he had no contact with Russian officials during the election. However, he later admitted to meeting with Sergey Kislyak, Russia’s ambassador to the US, during the 2016 Republican Convention. Jared Kushner, who is Trump’s son-in-law and has been called “Trump’s secretary of everything” by CNN, failed to disclose a December meeting with the same ambassador, when Kushner was seeking top-secret security clearance. A meeting with the Russian ambassador is not something someone forgets. Page and Kushner intended to keep these meetings a secret, for they have something to hide.

Pyotr Levashov, a Russian hacker, was arrested on April 7 in Barcelona at the request of US authorities. Following the arrest, his wife, Maria, spoke with him. According to her, he was told that his arrest had something to do with a computer virus he created that was ‘‘linked to Trump’s election win.’’

On top of it all, Trump still refuses to release his tax returns. The fact that Trump is hesitant to do something that every presidential candidate has done for more than 40 years signifies that he has a hidden agenda. After all, according to an analysis by Bloomberg News, Trump owes around 300 million dollars to Deutsche Bank, which has a branch in Moscow.

In order to draw the public away from his suspicious relationship with Russia, Trump makes baseless claims or carries out bewildering actions. This way, the news media does not report about Kushner or Page, but rather tries to figure out his reasoning for actions such as claiming that Obama wiretapped his phones.

In the midst of these occurrences, I urge Americans to avoid getting sidetracked by Trump’s idiosyncratic actions. Trump wants the public to forget about his questionable ties, and we cannot allow him to have his way, for it may present a direct threat to America’s democracy.