A Letter to Our Community: Please Support Sunday’s Zumbathon

Sam Davidson, Student Contributor

Dear Friends and Community,

In 2009, my Grandma Barbara lost her battle with aggressive lymphoma. Before she died my sister Morgan made her a promise to help as many people as she could that were suffering from cancer. In 2010 Morgan founded the Ambassador’s for Hope Club at three local schools.

In 2014, my Papa Gary died after a 5-year battle with cancer. He was one of the bravest people I ever met. It was then that I promised my sister that I would continue her “Lifesaver” work here in Los Angeles when she went college, and I have lived up to that promise by taking over the leadership of the Ambassadors for Hope. I have successfully recruited new teens, held multiple blood and marrow drives as well as continued the tradition of our annual fundraiser. The Ambassadors for Hope Club is now the Ambassadors for Hope Project-making it easier for teens from multiple schools and communities to get involved. The mission of the Project is to inspire teens to help save lives through the City of Hope National Medical Center and Be the Match National Marrow Registry. Together, we have raised over $60,000 and recruited over 600 people to join the National Marrow Registry

On Sunday February 11th, Ambassadors for Hope will be again partnering with FitSquad LA to host our 5th annual Zumbathon in the dTHS gym (doors open at 8:30 AM and the program begins at 9). It is going to be a fun filled two hour Zumba dance party complete with an auction style raffle. Eleven Southern California Zumba instructors have already committed to donating their time. “Be The Match” will be there to screen and answer questions for people who are interested in becoming a marrow donor.

I am asking for your help. We need volunteers to help continue with the success of the event. If you are able to donate your time, donate something for our auction, or if you want to join us as a participant, I would be grateful. If you or someone you know between the ages of 18 and 44 would like to join the National Marrow registry that day, it would be awesome. I am looking for a dedicated group of teens to help me continue the journey to prove that kids can make a difference in this world.

To sign up or for more information you can contact me at ambassadorsforhope@gmail.com.

Please, join me and thank you for your continued support.