The Prowler

Feels Like ‘the End of the World’

'for a lot of people they don't have normal anymore'

Back to Article
Back to Article

Feels Like ‘the End of the World’

Many families lost everything to the fires

Emma Nulman

Emma Nulman

Emma Nulman

Sophie Newman, Global Affairs Editor

WOODLAND HILLS – Over the weekend I was fortunate enough to not be severely impacted by the California wildfires. I live in Woodland Hills a safe distance away, but still faced the threat of evacuation. My family was on standby the whole time, ready to go at a moment’s notice. Although we were safe, we were still within relatively close proximity to the fire in West Hills, so we’ve been hearing nonstop sirens since Thursday. It’s been very stressful for me because even though I’m safe I have an irrational fear about the end of the world, and this feels an awful lot like the end of the world. Because of that, I’ve been very on edge and anxious the past week. Luckily, the fires are expected to be out by the end of the week, and hopefully things will start getting back to normal soon after. But I know for a lot of people they don’t have normal anymore. So many people have lost their homes and businesses, with nowhere to go. Those people are now homeless. Thinking about them and their stress and their struggle makes my heart hurt. I want so badly to make everything better for them because I know what it’s like to be homeless. This might be a surprise, but I was living with my mom full-time until June, when she became homeless. I’ve been living with my dad since then while my mom stays with her sister. Now there are so many more people and families who will be sleeping on their sisters’ couches.