The student news site of de Toledo High School

The Prowler

Upcoming Events
  • April 14April 17: Tzitzit Tying For Senior Parents
  • April 12April 15: Mexico EP Jags dpt. to MX City
  • April 8April 11-14: All School Shabbaton
  • April 7April 10: 12th Grade Shabbaton

The Prowler

The Prowler

Amazing Horror Movie, Must Watch!

Watch as a simple setting, low-budget movie unfolds into an all time horror classic

The Strangers (2008) is a psychological horror film in which a young couple spends the weekend at a secluded family home, but finds unexpected horrors during their stay. 

I thought this movie was a bit slow at first, yet I was enticed during every moment. The slow nature of the film paired with the dark, abandoned setting were the perfect ingredients for a horror movie.

Director Bryan Pertino often opts for a shaky camera perspective, which I found to be both annoying and frightening at the same time.

James Hoyt (Scott Speedman) has just proposed to his girlfriend Kristen Mckay (Liv Tyler), but she turns him down. During the uncomfortable after-period, the couple receives a mysterious visitor at the door, but she soon leaves.

Meanwhile, James attempts to cope with his recent rejection and calls his friend Mike (Glenn Howerton) to come pick him up. Mike takes too long, so James eventually takes his own car, leaving Kristen stranded.

However, James agrees to come back the next day to pick her up again. Once James has left, the mysterious girl  comes to the door, asking for a person by the name of Tamara, to whom Kristen has not been acquainted.

A series of horrific events ensue, as Kristen grabs a kitchen knife in an attempt to protect herself, while a masked intruder chases her through the house. Kristen narrowly escapes death, and takes refuge in the bedroom. The door is then opened by James, as he feels guilty about leaving his girlfriend alone and returns to stay with her.

Although it takes convincing, James eventually realizes that their lives are in danger. He and Kristen attempt to call the police before learning that their phone lines have been cut. Alas, Mike has finally arrived home to the rescue, as we see him enter the empty house calling for the names of his friends, unknowing as the intruder trails behind him.

In confusion, James rummages for a shotgun and shoots his friend in the face, while the strange masked man disappears yet again. It is at this point that the couple becomes aware that they are alone, and that only they can stop what is to come. The ending of the movie is excellent and left me hopeful for a sequel.

“I really enjoyed watching this with my good friends, but it was also very scary,” said Max B. (’26).