The student news site of de Toledo High School

The Prowler

Upcoming Events
  • June 10June 17: Summer Program Begins
  • June 2June 6: Graduation
  • June 1June 4: Lunch with the Arts: Media Arts & Film Screening
  • May 30June 2: Prom

The Prowler

The Prowler

Opinion: Graduating seniors worry about reproductive care

Unfreedom for women starts with abortion bans

The opinions expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not necessarily represent the views of The Prowler.

As the class of 2024 embarks on their college journeys, it is essential to recognize the challenges women face with the restriction of abortion and their reproductive rights. 

Reproductive rights should not be up for debate and should be provided for all, regardless of gender or geographical location. 

Women rule out some colleges because they are worried that they will not receive the proper medical care in that state: 41 states have abortion bans in effect “with only limited exceptions,” according to the Guttmacher Institute

• 14 states have a total abortion ban.
  • 27 states have abortion bans based on gestational duration.
  • 7 states ban abortion at or before 18 weeks’ gestation
  • 20 states ban abortion at some point after 18 weeks.

“Only nine states and the District of Columbia do not restrict abortion based on gestational duration,” according to the non-profit research and policy institute.

This is an example of the inequalities in the healthcare system and shows the urgent need for change. We must continue to advocate for a better reproductive healthcare system and work towards a future where all people are supported with their needs. 

I interviewed a senior at Calabasas High School about her thoughts on abortion rights and how it affects her college decisions. Here is her take:

“Going into college I am not only worried about myself but the people around me because of college hookup culture. Due to the lack of access I will have for an abortion if needed, the worries are beginning to fill my mind. While I plan to be safe during college in this area, I am worried that I will not be able to find the proper care like birth control or an abortion when needed. These are resources I feel every woman should be able to access, especially in college. For me, I do not plan to have a baby soon, so if I do end up pregnant, it could ruin my entire career track and college process.”