Super Bowl LII Preview

Noah Camras, Sports Editor

This Sunday, February 4, the New England Patriots will be taking on the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl LII. Both the Patriots and Eagles were one seeds going into the playoffs, however, the Eagles have not been favored to win either of their playoff games. The Patriots have been to the Super Bowl nine times, winning five of them, including two in the last three years. The Eagles have only been in two Super Bowls, losing them both, the most recent being against the Patriots in 2004.

Both teams dominated in the regular season, yet they had differing paths to getting to the big game. Here is how each team’s season went:

The Patriots have been in control all year, and really throughout the last decade. The dynamic duo of Coach Bill Belichick and Quarterback Tom Brady have been as dominant as any coach-quarterback due in NFL history. Even though Brady was going into his 18th season at the age of 40, he did not disappoint. He led the Patriots to a 13-3 record, which was tied for the best record in the NFL. He also led the league in passing yards and was top three in passing touchdowns. This year was yet another example of the Brady-Belichick dominance in the NFL.

On the other side, the Eagles had a surprise season. Led by MVP candidate quarterback Carson Wentz, and a top five defense, the Eagles also went 13-3. They were the one seed in the NFC, and seemed to have everything going right. However, in week 14, the Eagles were playing the Los Angeles Rams. Quarterback Carson Wentz was running to the end zone, when he was hit by a Rams’ defender. That play ended Carson Wentz’ season, as it resulted in a torn ACL. After this incident, Eagles fans lost hope. There was no way backup Nick Foles could lead the Eagles to the Super Bow, especially after his sub-par performances in weeks 16 and 17.

But, Foles came through. In the divisional round of the playoffs, the Eagles defense protected a minimal lead against the Falcons, finishing with a 15-10 victory. The championship round, however, was a different story. Foles was up against arguably the best defense in the league in the Vikings, and torched their defense for over 350 passing yards and three touchdowns. The Eagles won that game 38-7, and received a huge momentum boost going into this upcoming matchup against the Patriots.

The Super Bowl should be a hard fought battle, between a top offense in the Patriots and a top defense in the Eagles. The biggest question in the Super Bowl is which Eagles’ offense will show up. Will it be the divisional round offense that turned the ball over twice, had to settle for three field goals, and scored just 15 points? Or, will it be the offense displayed against the Vikings, that had over 450 total yards, 38 points, and zero turnovers? If the Eagles offense comes to play, and Nick Foles plays similar to his performance against the Vikings, this could be a game. If not, the Patriots dominance will continue, and Brady will win his sixth ring.

Arguably one of the most fun parts of the game is the build up, especially predicting who will win. Below are a few student predictions:

Senior Brandon Gertler believes “it’s going to be a shootout,” but he believes the Patriots will come out on top 34-31.

Another senior, Harrison Bromberg, said that although he hopes the Eagles win, the “Patriots always seem to pull out a victory.” He has the Patriots winning 28-24.

Junior Liam Evenhaim has the Eagles winning this game, 27-20, coming off their big victory over the Vikings.

Personally, I have the Eagles winning the Super Bowl. It should be a battle, but I believe the Eagles defense will be great, and the Eagles offense will be good enough. I think it should be a close game, but Nick Foles and the Eagles will prevail, and win by a score of 24-20.