The student news site of de Toledo High School

The Prowler

Upcoming Events
  • April 14April 17: Tzitzit Tying For Senior Parents
  • April 12April 15: Mexico EP Jags dpt. to MX City
  • April 8April 11-14: All School Shabbaton
  • April 7April 10: 12th Grade Shabbaton

The Prowler

The Prowler

de Toledo’s Fantastic Altar Honors Dia de Los Muertos 

To celebrate Dia de los Muertos, Club ACOH encouraged everyone to bring a photo of a deceased loved one to remember (Nov. 2, 2023). 
Club ACOH and the Spanish literature and culture class put together a small altar honoring the victims who passed away during natural disaster events like the fire in Maui (Nov. 2, 2023).

Last week, deToledo made a really nice altar to help honor the Day of the Dead. The altar had flowers, pictures of deceased family members and pets, candles, and mugs. It was really lovely seeing it.

The altar was on display in the first floor lobby on November 2-3.

On the Day of the Dead, families create offerings to honor their departed family members who have passed. Altars of the deceased are frequently decorated with bright yellow marigold flowers, pictures or photos of departed family members. 

Another frequent tradition is having some of the favorite foods and drinks of the ones being honored. The offerings are believed to encourage visits from the land of the dead as their departed souls hear their prayers, smell their favorite foods, and join in on celebration!

Traditionally, sugar skulls are created as ornamental gifts for children and family members during Día de los Muertos. These brightly colored skulls represent the departed souls in the circle of life.  If you would like a recipe on how to make sugar skulls, see the link.  

Club ACOH (Acercándonos a la Comunidad Hispana) promotes awareness of and outreach to the Hispanic community, according to club advisor and Spanish teach Sra. Olmas.