The student news site of de Toledo High School

The Prowler

Upcoming Events
  • April 14April 17: Tzitzit Tying For Senior Parents
  • April 12April 15: Mexico EP Jags dpt. to MX City
  • April 8April 11-14: All School Shabbaton
  • April 7April 10: 12th Grade Shabbaton

The Prowler

The Prowler

Sports Update

Debatably the best couple of sports months out of the year are just beginning, so let’s break it down.

In the last week of September, both college and professional football leagues are beginning to hit their strides. Both leagues are full of talented teams and upsets are coming in week in and week out.

Also, the MLB is in its last week of the season, and playoffs are right around the corner.

First, we are through the first four weeks of the college football season, and we already have massive storylines. Whether that is the quarterback carousel coming from blue blood programs like Alabama, Ohio State, and Georgia, the emergence of PrimeTime in Boulder, or the final year of the Pac-12 being the most competitive ever, we are in line for an eventful season. These first couple of weeks have seen few real tough matchups with all of the out-of-conference games, but finally, in Week Four, we saw conference play begin, and the ranked matchups beginning as well.

The biggest stories from this weekend were #10 Oregon dominating #19 Colorado in Eugene, #4 Florida State fighting out the overtime win against an unranked Clemson team, and #6 Ohio State pulling out the last-second win against #9 Notre Dame. 

In the NFL, Week 3 passed with dominance or upset, depending on which team. Both the Chiefs and Dolphins dominated with huge blowout wins against inferior opponents, but others, thought to be Super Bowl contenders like the Cowboys and Ravens, were upset by bottom-of-the-league teams.

The Dolphins had a historic win by hanging 70 on the Broncos, which is the most points scored by one team in a single game in 57 years. With only four teams winless and three teams undefeated, we are in store for an extremely competitive NFL season.

Finally, as we turn our calendars to October, every sports fan knows that the MLB playoffs are coming. In both the AL and NL wildcard races, we have .5 game leads between multiple teams, and with only two series left for each team, there is little time to pull ahead.

The two top teams in each league are almost locked in with the Braves and the Dodgers in the NL, and the Orioles and Rangers in the AL. The stacked 101-win Braves look to be the favorites coming into the playoffs. Looking at the past couple of years, any healthy team that gets hot in October is dangerous, and you can not look past any matchup.

The sports season is heating up, and, especially in this next month, there is going to be constant news flying in and out. I, for one, can’t wait.