The student news site of de Toledo High School

The Prowler

Upcoming Events
  • April 14April 17: Tzitzit Tying For Senior Parents
  • April 12April 15: Mexico EP Jags dpt. to MX City
  • April 8April 11-14: All School Shabbaton
  • April 7April 10: 12th Grade Shabbaton

The Prowler

The Prowler

Two Great Los Angeles Restaurants

Restaurants that will appeal to any palate

Food has always been something  I’ve enjoyed throughout the entirety of my life. No matter the destination or occasion, I have always  found a dish or item that I get excited about.

Both of the restaurants reviewed below are extremely different, as not all readers will have the same taste in cuisine. Overall, these choices are pretty safe no matter the reader’s palate.

I will be reviewing two things specifically from each restaurant: the comfort factor–such as how nice it is to sit at or if I would rather take it to go; and the quality of the food–I will be testing this through an appetizer/side, an entree, and a dessert.

Mastro’s Ocean Club (Malibu, CA)

This pick pretty much speaks for itself.

Mastro’s Ocean Club offers a fine dining experience along the gorgeous coastline of Malibu. The only thing that seems to be better than the ambience is the food itself. Usually, they’ll start you off with a bread service, which is honestly pretty solid as far as bread goes. As an appetizer, I enjoy the bigeye tuna tartare, which is delicious, and the fish quality is great.

I wouldn’t commend Mastro’s for its appetizers, but I really enjoy their sides. The garlic mashed potatoes and the mac and cheese are staples any time I dine at Mastro’s. The mac and cheese has the perfect balance of cheese to flavor, and the mashed potatoes melt as soon as you eat them.

As for the steak, it needs no introduction. They have many cuts and sizes of steak at Mastro’s, but my personal favorite has to be the A5 Wagyu. It has a nice texture and comes served on a sizzling hot plate.

Lastly, the dessert for mastros cannot be ignored. Their signature butter cake is a rich, decadent dessert that anyone in the world would enjoy. Overall, Mastro’s has top tier views, seating, and food. 

& Waffles (Woodland Hills, CA)

So, this pick is a little different from my last one.

& Waffles is a medium-sized breakfast restaurant located along Ventura Blvd. in Woodland Hills. It’s pretty much hidden if you don’t look for it, but is across from Trader Joe’s.

In terms of breakfast, & Waffles offers a pretty large menu packed with eggs, fried chicken, and their namesake, waffles. Although it can get quite crowded, & Waffles is a nice place to sit down and enjoy a nice brunch meal.

I like to order the Cajun style chicken and waffles, which is a juicy, crispy, breaded chicken breast served with a hot, fluffy waffle. Another great option is the chicken and waffle sandwich, which is served with eggs, as well.

While there is no specific dessert option, they offer any dessert waffles and pancakes, like the strawberry nutella waffle. I would definitely recommend eating here.