The student news site of de Toledo High School

The Prowler

Upcoming Events
  • April 14April 17: Tzitzit Tying For Senior Parents
  • April 12April 15: Mexico EP Jags dpt. to MX City
  • April 8April 11-14: All School Shabbaton
  • April 7April 10: 12th Grade Shabbaton

The Prowler

The Prowler

Sports Update

Welcome back to this week in sports after another eventful football weekend and the kickoff of basketball. 

Starting with football, the biggest story of the weekend was supposed to be a close game between the Jaguars and the 49ers. The last couple of weeks, the dominant 49ers had been dropping off, losing multiple games in a row and losing stars to injuries. At the same time, the Jaguars had been hitting their stride and taking a strong lead in their division.

However, this weekend’s game showed the opposite, as the 49ers demolished the Jaguars in their stadium. Then, on Monday Night Football, we saw a matchup between the Bills and the Broncos. The Bills walked in as heavy favorites over the lowly Broncos, but this game showed the contrary. After many offensive mistakes from the Bills, and Russell Wilson looking like his old self, the Broncos pulled out the upset in Buffalo, 24-22. 

The basketball season is finally upon us and a familiar face has already been moved. James Harden, after requesting a trade again, is moved from the Philadelphia 76ers to the Los Angeles Clippers in return for multiple rotational pieces.

This trade has worked out better for the Sixers than the Clippers. Since the trade, the Clippers are 0-5 and have looked worse than ever, dropping out of playoff position. While the Sixers are 8-3, second in the East,  young up-and-coming star Tyrese Maxey is stepping in, and playing better than Harden was for the Sixers.

Moreover, there were multiple rookies with big expectations. Victor Webanyama was one of the most hyped-up rookies of all time. Wemby has started the season off strong, leading all rookies and his team in scoring at 18.6 points 9.3 rebounds, and 2.4 blocks per game. The 7’4’’ French center will look to continue his dominance throughout the season as he becomes more accustomed to NBA play, and I expect him to be an MVP candidate in just a couple of years. 

We are right in the middle of one of the best times for sports of the year. Stick around because I will continue to catch you up on the wide world of sports.