2017 Gala Celebration

Melanie Anish, Features Editor

On May 18, 2017, de Toledo High School hosted its annual gala. The evening was filled with spectacular performances by both students and a few special guests.

The event started off with a beautiful performance of the US and Israeli national anthems by some of the dTHS  musical theater students. This set the mood for the rest of the night and was the perfect opening.

After the anthems, the gala host, TV celebrity Chris Harrison, introduced the rest of the event and called up the HaMotzi participants to bless the bread. Soon after this took place, Harrison introduced the cast of Grease to perform “Grease is the Word.”

While the cast took the stage, aerialists Erin Zane and Alexa Turner performed beautifully in the background. After this heartwarming performance by the singers and aerialists, the crowd applauded with joy.

Harrison then introduced the gala chairs Carolyn and Mike Darnell, who gave enthusiastic welcome remarks. After this, Bruce Gersh and Dr. Powell graced the stage with powerful speeches and then introduced the dTHS promotion video.

The guests then enjoyed a lovely first course and performance by Chelsea Darnell and Lola Chen, singing “I Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You,” accompanied by dTHS musicians.

Once dinner was finished, Susan Hirsch Wohl came on the stage and made a presentation of the Nita Hirsch Community Service Award to the family of Earl Greinetz z”l. The family came up accepted this important award on behalf of Earl, who dedicated his life to our community.

Next, Harrison announced a “Bachelor Fantasy Weekend” and the audience bid on the package. Once this was sold, TV celebrities Jane Lynch and Kate Flannery took to the stage with the Tony Guerrero Quintet and wowed the audience.

Following this special performance, Ashlee, Noah, Ezra, and Leo Emanuel made a presentation to their parents Sarah and Ari Emanuel and then Sarah and Ari gave beautiful acceptance speeches.

The night closed with a collaborative performance of “Glory” by the dTHS dancers, musicians, and singers. After this piece, Harrison thanked everyone for attending the event and wished the guests a good night. The guests left astonished at what a beautiful event the school put on and impressed by all the performances.