Trump, Please Take Care of My Country

Noam Haykeen, Student Writer

Dear President Trump,

I am a high school student, and in a month from now I am scheduled to become a United States citizen. I could not be more excited. I have grown to love and cherish this country.

I admire that in America there is a free press, a group that is able to uncover what the public deserves to know.

I also appreciate that everyone is welcome here, regardless of race, sexual preference or religion. Fortunately, I have never felt judged for these characteristics.

America stands up to dictators, those who rule their countries in an unjust manner. And yes, that includes Vladimir Putin.

Mr. Trump, I must say that I am scared of what you are turning this country into. So far, your decisions have hurt many Americans, and you should be aware of that.

A week into your presidency, your travel ban shut our doors to refugees worldwide. Your decision, for example, blocked refugees fleeing the massacre in Syria. America is a nation built by and for immigrants, remember? Blocking refugees’ entrance undermines basic American values.

Fortunately enough, a Seattle judge halted your ban nationwide.

On February 17, you tweeted that the news media is the enemy of the American People!” Sir, that you do not like the news they are reporting does not make them foes. The news media and journalists work tirelessly to reveal the truth to the American public. Americans, including you, should cherish rather than shame them.

You have also personally told your Education Secretary Betsy Devos to remove an Obama-era guideline that protected transgender students, as reported by The New York Times on February 22. Your actions make me think: Would you deny a person’s gender or sexuality just because it doesn’t fit with your personal ideals? I find it appalling to know that my own president holds such a mindset, for you are the role model for children throughout this great country.  

Your administration gave the Keystone XL Pipeline, planned to stretch 1,200 miles across six US states, its key federal permit on March 24. Not only has this action caused members of the Native American tribe Standing Rock Sioux to fear for their water source and sacred land, but it has also already caused almost 17,000 gallons of oil to leak in South Dakota, as U.S. News detailed.

On top of it all, it seems as if you are giving this country away to Russia and do not believe in checks and balances. Throughout your presidency, not once have you stood up to Putin, who is a dictator reported to murder journalists and opposition figures in his country, according to The Washington Post.

As of now, the FBI is investigating the role Russia played in the 2016 presidential election, which includes the possibility your campaign colluded in Russian efforts to aid your victory. So, how convenient it is that just a bit over a week ago you decided to fire FBI Director James Comey, who was leading the investigation. Furthermore, on May 12, you told NBC News that you fired Comey because of “this Russia thing.” And lastly, you told Comey to let go of the investigation into Michael Flynn, your former National Security Advisor.

The fact that you, Mr. President, are trying to stop an FBI investigation because you are involved, is revolting and, in fact, an obstruction of justice.

In the midst of these events, you disclosed classified information, which was given to the U.S. by Israel, the Russian foreign minister and ambassador, as The Washington Post reported on May 15 and 16. The fact that you have the audacity to jeopardize America’s relationship with Israel, and thus put America’s national security at risk, frightens me.

Mr. Trump, I am asking you to be honest and think about your actions before carrying them out. Your recent choices have hurt people. Honestly, some of us are starting to lose faith in the system.

Lastly, if you have done something illegal in regards Russia, please do not try to hide it, for it will put America in a vulnerable place. We are counting on you, Mr. President, so please do not let us down.

Sincerely,

A Concerned Citizen-To-Be