The student news site of de Toledo High School

The Prowler

Upcoming Events
  • April 14April 17: Tzitzit Tying For Senior Parents
  • April 12April 15: Mexico EP Jags dpt. to MX City
  • April 8April 11-14: All School Shabbaton
  • April 7April 10: 12th Grade Shabbaton

The Prowler

The Prowler

First Day of School!!!

By: Natalie Gordon and Simona Vishnevsky

Students walk through the front door, remembering that they left their Student IDs at home, seeing their friends after such a long time, reminiscing about old memories with teachers.  Only at de Toledo High School would a student be this happy to be back. On August 27th, dTHS kicked off the first day with an assembly where students and faculty alike stood together passionately singing the new school alma mater for the very first time, which brought them to the realization that despite the “new name,” the school still has the “same soul.” With the largest freshman class in the history of the school, de Toledo is thriving, bigger, and stronger than ever before.   

Students both old and new felt welcomed from the moment they walked in the door. “It felt incredible to be back with all of my classmates. The way we were able to reconnect after a summer apart made it feel as if no time had passed at all,” said sophomore Moriah Pretsky.

Even more excited than the rest of the students were the incoming freshmen. Emotions ran high as excitement and nerves filled their minds. Yet similarly to many of the upperclassmen, they immediately felt the sense of community. Maya Luzon, one of the first ever dTHS freshmen, in describing her experience, said, “everyone was so welcoming and it was so nice meeting all of my teachers. Of course I was nervous about things, like who my friends were going to be and who I would be eating lunch with, but everything turned out perfectly. I really enjoyed myself, and am very excited for this year.”

When asked by The Prowler Staff about their experience on the first day of school, the students gave many answers that summarized to one collective response: “one community, our community, de Toledo High School.”