Mysteries Revealed Behind the Scenes of “Clue”

Alexis Gavin

Sammy G. (’24) gets ready to play the role of Mr.Green in the student production of “Clue.”

During rehearsal, as I watched from a distance, the cast did voice warm-ups and ran lines with each other from the play and from other movies for practice. 

As I talked to the actors of the production of “Clue” and watched their rehearsals, I got a lot of insight into the preparation of the cast and crew. Actors performed live shows Oct. 24-26 in Lanier Auditorium. 

During tech week, Nitzan WC (’24), who played Mrs. Boddy and a police officer, explained how it was “really stressful” because they had to stop every time they made a mistake, so they had to run the show many times every day. 

“It was amazing being able to bond with my cast and crew and I really felt like I had another level of respect and a newfound love for all the members,” she said. 

The play introduces six people–Mr. Green, Mrs. White, Miss Scarlet, Professor Plum, Mrs. Peacock, and Colonel Mustard– who were invited to a mansion for dinner anonymously. It is a murder mystery with a surprising plot twist. After dinner, the guests are told that they were invited because they were being blackmailed by the host. After the host Mrs. Boddy reveals her identity, she is murdered by one of the guests. Throughout the play, five more people are killed. At the end, the audience is told what the guests did and that someone there had murdered everyone.

I loved how engaging and suspenseful the show was. I also enjoyed how chaotic the play got, because it kept me interested and entertained. I recommend that everyone go to see the next de Toledo production, the musical “Chicago.” It was a super fun experience and very entertaining. It’s also great to go and support your friends. 

Sophomore Amanda K. described her experience in the audience: “Going into it, I was expecting a high school level play, but actually, my mind was completely blown. I felt like I was in New York City watching a Broadway play.”

Amanda K. (’24) cheers on students in the school production of “Clue.” (Alexis Gavin )