The student news site of de Toledo High School

The Prowler

Upcoming Events
  • March 23March 26: Lunch with the Arts: Jazz Hour
  • March 23April 2: Spring Theatre Production
  • March 21April 1: EIEP Jags depart to Israel
  • March 21April 1: TEP Turks arrive in LA

The Prowler

The Prowler

A Year of Transition: Looking Ahead to 2015-2016

By: Cory Blumstein, Noah Camras, and Gabe Smallson

With the loss of last year’s Seniors, are de Toledo’s sports in trouble, or will they go above and beyond, making a “new name” for themselves?

With mostly every sports team having at least one senior last year, many of the them are now in rebuild mode. Boys Varsity Flag-Football, Basketball, and Baseball each lost many seniors, all of whom were key players on the team.

Basketball

It seems as if Basketball will be in rebuild mode as well with the loss of many seniors, including Mr. 2000 Edan Evenhaim and stars Noah Emanuel and Daniel Ozer-Ross.

Baseball

The Baseball team will miss many of their top athletes including Zach Miller and Ben Glaser, but the young team is loaded with talent. Sophomore Jonah Weisberg, last year’s Rookie of the Year, will play a big role for the team, both at the plate and on the mound.

Cross Country

Though some may say cross country is in a rebuilding stage with their young team, sophomore Michael Brandt says otherwise. He says, “we are going all the way.” A young, confident cross country team has high hopes for this season. I personally think that they are going to “run” away with it this year.

Equestrian

Francesca Berkovich, a leader on the equestrian team thinks that, “the season will go flawlessly.” She also believes that the team will get, “first places all around.” Hopefully our team will ride of into the sunset this season.

Flag Football

After being knocked out of the playoffs in a very controversial game, our football players look to come back this season with vengeance. The team lost a dynamic duo at Quarterback with Zach Miller and Adir Bernshtein, along with star receiver David Bar-Or. Their upperclassmen will step up and develop their younger players to be great and Senior Matt Cohen will play receiver. Cory Blumstein says, “I think that even though we have a young team, we will have an amazing season.”

Soccer

The Boys and Girls soccer teams have also been affected by the loss of many of last year’s seniors, but they both have strong rosters, and their players will rise to the challenge and try to match last year’s incredible run.

Swimming

After a strong season last year, the swim team looks to continue right where they left off.  Star swimmers Moses Goodman, Jacob Rudner, and Noam Haykeen look to lead the team to continued success.

Girls Tennis

Members of the girls tennis team are excited to start the upcoming year. They hope to develop the young players to one day lead the team in the future. After a long summer, the lady jags hope to get back into the “swing” of things for this season.

Girls Volleyball

Girls Varsity Volleyball lost half of their team, including star Carmelle Dagmi and tall middle-blocker Talya Camras. Last year’s JV players will have to step up big time along with last year’s freshman phenom Jessie Birnbaum, and seniors Lindsay Workman and Maya Freeman. With new coaching this year, Maya Freeman says the season will go “really well!”

Wrestling

The Wrestling team lost muscle with Ben Fischer and Greg Aleksandrovsky going off to college, so their young players will have to step up. Senior Alex Feldman and Juniors Hayden Cohn and James Meledandri will likely lead the young Wrestling team.

With our new name, de Toledo has the opportunity to “recreate our identity” in sports, with fresh talent and young rising stars being the key to success…No need to worry. After all, we are still the Jags!

Go Jags!