One Community, Our community: Community College

Gabe Smallson, Sports Editor

What do a Super Bowl-winning quarterback, the creator of Star Wars, Sarah Palin, and Morgan Freeman all have in common?

The starting quarterback for the Green Bay Packers, Aaron Rodgers, attended Butte College in Northern California. George Lucas went to Modesto Junior College.

And there’s more: Tom Hanks, Queen Latifah, Jackie Robinson, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and billionaire Ross Perot. All of these distinguished, talented individuals attended community college.

Although I can go on and on about doctors, lawyers, veterinarians, and many others who attended community college, I would rather talk about how the community college route can be the right choice.

One of the most relatable examples from the aforementioned list is Tom Hanks. Although most actors are not where they are based on their intellectual knowledge, Hanks’ community college decision was purely based on academic purposes.

Tom Hanks had mediocre grades in high school and a sub-par SAT score. Hanks took the community college route and enrolled in Chabot College in Hayward, California. He says Chabot made him who he is today.

Community college gives students a chance to start over in a sense. Let’s say a student graduates high school with a 3.5 GPA. This student has always wanted to go to UCLA, but their GPA doesn’t allow them to do so. This student has two options: settle for a university that they do not want to go to, or attend community college.

I’m not saying that community college is the only way to go, but those who aren’t satisfied with their grades after high school don’t always have to settle. If you truly want something, why would you accept anything less? Your dream school is much more likely to accept you as a transfer student.

In today’s society, there is so much pressure to succeed. This pressure is solely based on graduating high school, and then thriving at a four year university. This is a lot to put on a 14-18 year old. I’ve had conversations with people about college and I can see them trying to sound better than the next person by bragging about their college acceptances or what type of schools they are applying to.

I have no shame in telling people that I am considering Pierce College.

Community college is also much cheaper than a four year university. Not only is the price tag way less than that at a university, but the benefits one can get are stellar. Instead of paying to live on campus, you can live in your own home for free. Aside from the money you save on campus living, you can make your own money as well. You can keep that part-time job you’ve had for the past two years and save up money in your free time since you won’t be living on campus.

Life is an adventure. Life is too short to not take chances. Live life without gingerly walking over every obstacle. Life will not work out according to plan all the time. It’s okay to make a risky move. Although community college may seem like a risky move to take, the successes and benefits one can gain are endless.

So, communty college or not. Honestly, that’s on you. As cliche as it may sound, go with your heart. Although you might not be happy with your decision, it’s part of the adventure and will add to your story.

Yes, the college you decide to attend may not be the one you stay at, but that doesn’t matter. Making plans for the future is a fool’s errand. So, take your plans and throw them out.

As Morgan Freeman, alumnus of Los Angeles City College, said in Shawshank Redemption, “Get busy living, or get busy dying.”