What It’s Like to Be on a Team

What Its Like to Be on a Team

Gabby Resnick, Opinion Editor

You just touched the wall to signify the finish of a much anticipated race. You quickly peel off your black goggles, leaving a red rim around the outskirts of your slightly red, chlorine-infected eyes. Water droplets cloud your usual perfect 20/20 vision (thanks to TruEye contacts) as you try to regulate your fast-paced breath, looking upward as the sun beams down on your tanned shoulders. “29.43,” you hear the timer say. You lean your head back in excitement; you’ve finally broke 30. You breathlessly climb out of the water. “I broke 30,” you spurt out breathlessly. Screams erupt from the mob of people waiting anxiously around the pool deck behind your lane to hear how you did. They knew how hard you worked to break 30 seconds on a 50 freestyle. You are bombarded with congratulatory hugs, high fives, and fist bumps. You smile proudly as you run hand in hand with a teammate to go tell your coach.

This is what it feels like to be on a team.

However, teammates don’t only help you celebrate the victories.

It’s homecoming game, end of the 4th quarter, and your team’s down 69-67. You’re playing against your school’s biggest rival, the infamous Milken High School. Energy is high as your team has the ball with six seconds remaining. Adrenaline is pumping as you run into the huddle to hear the last play. “One, two, three, break.” You, along with the rest of the players, quickly disperse into position. The whistle blows, and the pressure is on. You know that it is your job to make the 3-pointer in order to win the game and preserve your team’s undefeated status. Right on schedule, the palms of your sweaty hands grip the ball. You look at the clock. Three seconds till the end of the game. You dribble down the line and shoot as the buzzer sounds one last time. The ball slowly circles the outskirts of the rim before falling to the left. You missed the shot. Game over. You angrily kick the sweat-ridden floor with the tip of your new Air Jordans. You walk to the bench and put your head between your hands. Soon, multiple pairs of hands pat your back. “It’s ok, it happens.” “We’ll get them next time.” You’re instantly reassured that although it’s a disappointing situation, your team played an otherwise great game together. You and your teammates walk back to the locker room to have a meeting with your coach.

A team is a family that will be there by your side through the good and the bad. They will be there to wipe your tears and make you cry of laughter. A team is a family that knows your personal struggles as an athlete because they have gone through them too. Teammates know that not every race is a win and not every ball shot is a swish. And since they know this, they can help you cope with the losses and celebrate the wins in ways that no one else can.

Being on a team allows you to grow with people who are passionate about the same things you are and push you to become better than you were the day before. Teammates make 6 am practices (almost) worthwhile, and long bus rides (almost) fun. You complain together, laugh together, cry together, and are there for each other on and off the court.

I highly recommend that everyone join a team at one point in their lives. Whether it be the Tennis, Volleyball, Dance, Flag Football, or Speech and Debate Team, being on a team will change your life for the better. My swim family has certainly changed mine.