Finding Our Voice: the LA Women’s March 2018

Shayna Goldstein, Opinion Editor

City hall rises in the distance. The arches of my feet scream in pain, but I can’t notice them under the joyful calls around me.

I look to my left. My mom proudly displays a short sleeved t-shirt with the silhouettes of three women calling into the wind. A logo on the bottom shouts “Women’s March.” On her head she wears a proud, perfect, pink hat with cat ears, symbolizing the suffering women have faced at the hands of men. The pink hat demonstrating unity as it represents support and solidarity for the rights of all women.

I look to my right. With her arm linked in mine as we leap through the air with each cheer. My sister is practically flying with each jump, so high. She dances in the streets, twirling, singing, springing up from the streets. All the while holding onto me. Linked to me. We are one.

I look in front of me. Hundreds of thousands of women create a wave of change with their bodies. Each one of 500,000 with her own story. Each one of 500,000 with her own voice. Each one of 500,000 with her own journey. Rising up from the crowd posters and signs wail out for freedom and cry for equality. Every person here standing in support with the hope in their heart that tomorrow will be better. All of us believing that every human deserves equal rights, no matter the gender, ethnicity, religion, who they love, or what they believe in. This is our definition of inclusion. A person should be judged not by who they are, but by their actions.

The Los Angeles’s Women’s March on January 20, 2018, changed my life. Exactly one year after Donald Trump’s presidential inauguration, we gathered, for the second year in a row, to stand in solidarity with our Los Angeles family. I have always wanted to stand up for what I believe in, but other than the first women’s march last year, I hadn’t had the opportunity. Feeling nervous at first, I doubted anyone would show up, but with subways filled with joy, streets filled with pride, and messages filled with peace, I knew that this day would be something very special. Hundreds of thousands of faces stood in solidarity and were united to fight for the freedom of every person no matter their gender or background.

The event began with speeches from people supporting equality: Muslim women, representatives from Black Lives Matter movement, transgender women, advocates for universal healthcare, and so much more. After that, we marched. Skipping through the streets hand in hand with our brothers and sisters, we marched. We marched for those who couldn’t march. We marched for the voiceless. We marched so that one day we will never have to march again.

We ended in front of Los Angeles City Hall. Speeches from famous activists and performances shook the crowd. Viola Davis, Sarah Hyland, Natalie Portman, and Idina Menzel are some of the many that spoke out.

Noa Blonder, a sophomore, spent January 20 at her first women’s march with her family and friends. Now that Noa is able to understand what has been happening with the government made her realize how important it was to voice her opinion and participate in fighting for equal rights for everybody. She knew it was time to fight for her rights as a woman in America.

Although every sign waving in the air touched her heart, one stood out to Noa more than the others. This sign had the words “why be racist, sexist, homophobic, or transphobic when you could just be quiet?” written across a clean white poster board. 

“It was an inspiring experience that I feel very lucky to have been a part of,” said Noa. “It was empowering to be surrounded by so many people who were fighting for the same values and rights that I was. Even though they were strangers to me, I felt like I was able to develop relationships and connections knowing that we share and support the same beliefs.”

As Noa was leaving the march, she witnessed an argument between young pro-choice women and pro-life older men. By seeing these young women stand up for their values, she was inspired. Although it angered her to see people wanting to fight against what we were peacefully marching for, she knew how powerful it is when women stand up for themselves. There is no doubt that Noa will be attending next year’s march.

Instead of a rally of hate against any one person, this march was a convergence of support and love from all who attended. I stood watching those around me marching for something truly good, and I was so overwhelmed by the love and positivity, I broke down into tears. That day I felt powerful. It was the first time in my life I had a voice.

I look behind me and see a smile on every single face. We are cheering. We did it. We are here making a difference, and no one can bring us down. Neither today nor tomorrow, we will not be silenced.