The student news site of de Toledo High School

The Prowler

Upcoming Events
  • April 14April 17: Tzitzit Tying For Senior Parents
  • April 12April 15: Mexico EP Jags dpt. to MX City
  • April 8April 11-14: All School Shabbaton
  • April 7April 10: 12th Grade Shabbaton

The Prowler

The Prowler

dTHS Person of the Year: Coach Dan Schneider

Liam Radd
dTHS Person of the Year Coach Dan Schneider is also students’ favorite substitute teacher, say Prowler editors (Jan. 24, 2024).

The Prowler’s editorial team has voted Coach Dan Schneider as the dTHS Person of the Year.

Coach Dan has been a coach at dTHS since 2020 as well as a substitute teacher. Coach Dan has been selected because he is awesome and a beloved faculty member of dTHS. 

“Coach Dan is one of the best coaches I have had,” said Max B. (’26). “He cares about his players, wants us to be better, and pushes us to our limits.” 

Senior James H. said about Coach Dan, “When you see that you have a substitute teacher, you hope it is Coach Dan. He’s just an electric guy and provides some good vibes in the classroom.”

Below is an interview so that the readers can get to know our beloved coach and substitute teacher better. 

What is one thing you want people to know about what you do at deToledo?

I really just try to use my own experience in sports and life and try to pass on things I learn to all of you guys, so you can become the best versions of yourself.

What is your favorite part about being a substitute teacher?

I feel like it’s getting more engaged in the community. When I was just a coach, I’d just work with my basketball guys. I didn’t have the whole community connection with the kids. As a sub, I can connect with all the students and the teachers.

What’s the most challenging part?

Having a versatility in my knowledge. Having to be on point and aware of each class and knowing students’ tendencies.

What is your best memory of being a coach?

I’d say it’s our Santa Barbara tournament we’ve done the past two years. It’s a different aspect to travel together and do a bunch of different activities outside of the court. It builds deeper bonds and connections within the team.

Have you ever coached players who have played in college or at a higher level?

Yes, this past year, I assisted a professional trainer and got to work with Division 1 guys, NBA, and G League players. 

Thank you, Coach Dan!