Theater Requires Work and Offers Rewards

Maddy L. ('22)

Nick H. (’23) takes on the persona of Professor Plum in the dTHS production of “Clue.”

Last month, for the first time in over a year, live theater returned to the dTHS stage. Prowler editor Becca Grae interviews Nick H. (‘23), who played Professor Plum in the show “Clue.”

Prowler: How was it acting in a mask?

Nick: A tad agitating, but not as bad as you’d expect! My mask was corduroy, so it was a bit stuffy, and I felt like my voice was muffled. Some of the cast members felt this way as well. Luckily we had good mics and everything, so I think the sound quality turned out well! The masks themselves were a very nice touch- they were made by our costume designer, who made them to the theme of our characters. I’m grateful she went through the effort of doing that so we didn’t have to perform in masks that clashed with our costumes.

Prowler: Can you describe your character?

Nick: I interpreted Professor Plum as an arrogant man, given the crimes of his past. He never seemed to regret what he did, or think any worse of himself for taking advantage of people. While remaining scholarly in a way, he was very sarcastic. I can’t imagine he has many friends.

Prowler: What was the show about?

Nick: A group of people–most of [whom] held positions of power–are all summoned to a house, finding upon arrival that they are being blackmailed. As the evening goes on, bodies drop like flies as the group try to rid themselves of the blackmailing evidence, and make it out of the house alive. 

Prowler: What sacrifices did you have to make for the play?

Nick: The play had an intense rehearsal schedule. I sacrificed a lot of my time. I would be at school for 10 hours because of rehearsals, and we’d have them almost every weekday barring Shabbat. Running certain errands became difficult as I wouldn’t get home [until] after dark. All of this left little time for homework, and less so for rest. 

Prowler: Why  did you do it?

Nick: I enjoy being onstage. I love being in costume, I love the sets and the lights. The excitement of waiting for the house to open is a real joy. The payoff of learning lines and blocking, working with the cast and crew, and all the hours we put in is wonderful to experience. Given the work that goes into shows, it’s not something I get to experience often, so it’s worth every second of it!

Prowler: Thank you so much, Nick, for sharing your experience with the cast of “Clue.” You were amazing in it. The next live theater will be the musical “Chicago” which will open in January 2022.